Standard For Slaughter House
- The purpose of this STANDARD is to ensure that correct Halal slaughtering and to set appropriate segregation of Halal product from Non-Halal product and to ensure the slaughtering process to comply with the accepted standards of Halal meat under Islamic Shari’ah
- This STANDARD prescribes practical guidelines for abattoir and poultry processing plant on slaughtering, stunning method, further dressing process, storage and transportation of Halal meat, poultry and their products.
- This procedure is applicable to all slaughterhouse activities from collection of animals to dispatching the products.
- For the purpose of this Standard, the following definitions apply;
ABATTOIR / SLAUGHTERHOUSE
A premise used for the slaughter of animals for human consumption. It may vary in size depending on location and local government ordinance but it should contain the following facilities or have them close by: a slaughter area, an area for emergency slaughter, scalding area, refrigeration area including chiller, blast freezer and freezer, condemned meat area and space for holding suspect meat, offal, gut and tripe area, hide and skin area, cutting room, packaging room, dispatch area, amenities for personnel, a veterinary officer’s room, preferably including a laboratory, and lairage.
NON- HALAL CONFORMING SLAUGHTERING
Non- Halal conforming slaughtering in this document means the animals slaughtered that are not in compliance with the Shariah law and this standard.
Only the following animals are permitted to be slaughtered, processed and stored on a JUHF approved establishment:
Herbivorous animals: Cattle, Goat, buffalo, sheep, deer, camel etc.
Means ‘bird’ include domestic birds, ducks, chicks, geese, turkeys, pigeons and any birds regarded Halal as per Islamic Shariah
TAZKIYAH: (Slaughtering according to Islamic Law)
The slaughtering by a Muslim of a permissible animal slaughtered or butchered controlled animal using a sharp knife for the sake of Allah, by any of the following means:
- Cutting the throat of the animal (Dhabah)
Cutting and severing of trachea (Halqum), esophagus (Mari’) and both the carotid arteries and jugular veins Wadajain)..
- Slaughtering (Nahr)
It consists in plunging a Knife in the base of the neck (libah) (the point between cores of the neck). This is the method preferred for severing camels and similar animals.
A person who performs slaughtering the animal, he must be:
- A practicing Muslim, mentally sound, baligh, fully understands the fundamental rules and conditions related to the slaughter of animals in Islam;
- Can pronounce “Bismillahi Allahu Akbar” properly and must know the sense of slaughtering.
- Competent in slaughtering the animal according to Shariah law.
HALAL SUPERVISOR / HALAL CHECKER
A person who looks after all the slaughtering process from lairage to dispatch, he must be;
- A practicing Muslim, mentally sound, baligh, fully understands the fundamental rules and conditions related to the slaughter of animals in Islam;
- An Alim / Hafiz / Graduate
- Registered, trained and supervised by JUHF
- Responsible for the effectiveness of the Internal Halal Management Team of the establishment;
- Ensure the functions of Halal slaughter man and Halal Slaughtering ,
- Supervise and verify Halal records of the establishment as follow:
Stunning equipment verification and calibration;
Slaughtering Record; Non-conformance Record;
Chiller room, freezer and blast freezer record;
Deboning activity record; and Packaging and storage record.
STUNNING: (if used)
It is the process of rendering animals immobile or unconscious prior to their being slaughtered for food. Various methods are used with aiming to allow the animal to bleed out while it is still alive. An animal that is dead before it has bled out will be dead and will be non-Halal and will not be processed further for Halal.
- Most the Carnivorous Animal or Birds with claw are Non-Halal
- Dead Animal: An animal which has died without being slaughtered
- Suffocated Animals: The animals which die by suffocation by its act or the act of others.
- Fatally beaten animals (Mawqouza): An animal which dies by beating by stick or other items which kill by heavy
- Falling Animals (Motaradiah): An animal which dies as a result of falling from a high place or falling in a hole,
- Butted Animals (Nateehah): An animal which dies as a result of butting.
- Eaten by Beast of Prey: The animal eaten by a beast of prey or a predatory bird of those not marked for hunting, which dies before being slaughtered.
- Animals for Which the Name of Allah is not recited: The animals, when slaughtered, a name other than the name of Allah is mentioned or a name is mentioned with the name of Allah or with the intention to approach not Allah, while the Name of Allah is mentioned.
- For the purpose of approval, the establishments intending to produce Halal meat, poultry and their products shall be registered with JUHF and follows the rules and regulations set by JUHF. For Registration client may contact JUHF officials or may visit official website halalhind.com
- The Establishment must be having ISO 22000 system.
DEDICATED HALAL ESTABLISHMENT
- Approved establishments shall be dedicated to produce Halal meat, poultry and their products throughout all the supply chain from slaughtering until transportation according to Islamic Shariah Law.
- At no stage and under no circumstances shall not any non-Halal animal/items/products be brought into contact or in proximity to Halal products nor shall any Halal product be transported with non-Halal products
INTERNAL HALAL MAMAGEMENT TEAM (IHMT)
The establishment shall form an Internal Halal Management Team-IHMT to implement Halal system into premise and the IHMT will be responsible for whole slaughtering process from farm to table. The Above team must be form as per following structure
||Muslim Halal Supervisor
||Quality Assurance Manager
STUNNING (if used)
In general, all forms of stunning and unconsciousness of animals are disliked.
- Stunning shall be in accordance with the MS1500 OR S 993 :2015;
- The use of other stunning methods is subject to pre-approval by the JUHF Shariah Committee decree;
- The method used shall be reversible stunning and shall not kill or cause permanent physical injury to the animal;
- If stunning is to be carried out the conditions specified in Annex A shall be complied. (Annex A for Electrical Stunning)
- The person who is responsible for the stunning operation (operation, control and monitoring) shall be trained in its use and preferably a Muslim;
- The Muslim Halal checker shall verify that the stunning operation is conducted according to the approved methods;
- The slaughter man shall be satisfied that animal provided to him are still alive for Halal slaughter; and
- If the animal is found dead due to the stunning procedure, the slaughter man shall identify and remove it from the Halal system.
Annexure-A; Guideline parameters for electrical stunning
(On head only and with frequency 1500 HZ and rated voltage 300 Volt)
|Type of Animal
- Animal and birds should have preferably been raised in a natural environment.
- Their feed should not contain animal-based products.
- Animals and poultry at farms or lairages must be cared for properly. They must be fed and watered before slaughter.
- If the animals have travelled long distances, they shall be given a rest before
- The animals should be clean from dirt, mud, or be washed and cleaned before slaughtering, and must be isolated from other animals slaughtered if it was still
- They must receive ante-mortem inspection by a certified veterinarian so that only healthy animals are brought into for
HALAL SLAUGHTERING PROCESS
The following requirements shall also be complied with:
- The animal shall be ritually slaughtered by Muslim slaughterman.
- The act of slaughtering shall be done with Niyyah (intention) in the name of Allah and not for other purposes. The slaughterman is well aware of his action;
- The animal to be slaughtered has to be an animal that is
- The animal to be slaughtered shall be alive or deemed to be alive at the time of slaughter;
- Animal to be slaughtered shall be healthy and have been approved by the competent authority;
- The animal shall be directed towards the Qiblah and Tasmiyah (Bismillahi Allahu Akbar) has to be invoked by The Muslim slaughterman just before slaughtering;
- Slaughtering knife shall be sharp and clean. The slaughtering tool may not be sharpened in front of the animal to be slaughtered.
- An animal may not be slaughtered in front of another animal.
- Slaughtering shall be done only once. The “sawing action” of the slaughtering is permitted as long as the slaughtering knife is not lifted off the animal during the slaughtering;
- The act of Halal slaughtering shall begin with an incision on the neck at some point just below the glottis (Adam’s apple) and after the glottis for long necked animal;
- The slaughter act shall sever the trachea (Halqum), esophagus (Mari) and both the carotid arteries and jugular veins (Wadajain) to hasten the bleeding and death of the animal. The bleeding shall be spontaneous and complete;
- For poultry, scalding shall be carried out on animal that are deemed dead as a result of Halal slaughter;
- Animal that are dead due to stunning procedure (if used) shall be identified as non-Halal conformance, segregated and recorded;
- The number of slaughter men shall be adequate to ensure that the act of Halal slaughter is conducted properly on each animal;
- No intervention can be conducted to hasten the death of the animal as a result of the act of Halal slaughter.
- The number of animal slaughtered daily and the non-Halal conformance carcasses shall be identified and recorded by the Halal Checker as shown in the Appendix-A and be available for audit by JUHF at any time.
HALAL SLAUGHTERING PROCESS (SPECIAL FOR POULTRY)
- If Stunning is being carried out it should be 20 to 30 Volts for 15sec (Voltage & Time are in inverse proportionate). The stunned bird should be able to be back in Normal condition within 3 (Three) minutes, if left un-slaughtered.
- Slaughterer needs minimum 2.5 seconds to recite the DUA. In case of higher speed of the chain if one person does not get the sufficient time to recite the dua, more than one person can be put on the job of slitting to perform the satisfactory job, depending upon the speed of the chain.
- The bleeding period (time between slaughter and going in the water bath) should not be less than 120sec (2minutes).
- The bird should be ‘STILL’ (cool & calm) before going into the water bath.
- Scalding Temperature (water bath temperature) – maximum up to 64˚C. Scalding Time (the bird in the hot water) – maximum upto100 seconds. Scalding Temperature and Scalding Time are inversely proportionate.
Note: Mechanical Slaughtering: Not allowed at all, JUHF Shariah Committee does not allow Mechanical Slaughtering at all.
DETERMINATION OF DEATH (As result of slaughtering)
Indication of death shall be assessed by observation of the animal as follows:-
- Fully dilated pupils;
- Absence of pupillary and corneal reflexes;
- Flaccid tongue;
- Absence of blood pulsing from the cut ends of the carotid arteries. i.e. blood under pressure from the cut carotid arteries indicating that the heart is still beating;
- Absence of all movements in the carcasses; and
- Responses directly related to the cutting of a major nerve are not considered to indicate that the animal is still alive.
- A Muslim Halal checker / Halal Supervisor shall be present at the slaughter hall to check the Stunning operation, to ensure the Halal slaughter, proper bleeding, determination of death prior to dressing operations, handling of non-compliance carcass and records as in Appendix-A are in compliance with this protocol;
- The position of Muslim Halal Checker, Muslim Halal head checker and Muslim Slaughterman could be interchangeable provided that they have fulfilled the requirements for each responsibility as stipulated respectively in standard.
- Muslim Halal Supervisor shall responsible to ensure the internal Halal control system in the establishment.
- Carcass dressing operations can be conducted once the animal is considered dead as defined in ‘Determination of Death’
- Any Non- Halal conformance carcass, offal and other parts shall be identified and clearly labeled throughout the process.
- The deboning room (including packaging) shall be part of the approved establishment and of the same address;
- Non-Halal conformance carcasses shall not be deboned at any circumstances nor shall be carried out any further process.
- processing of carcasses and offal from other establishments shall not be permitted;
- All cartons intended for export shall be clearly labelled with the Halal Logo, establishment number and other requirements.
- Each container shall be marked legibly and indelibly or a label shall be attached to the container, with the following information:
- Name of the product;
- Net content expressed in metric system (SI units);
- Name and address of the manufacturer, importer and / or distributor and trademark;
- List of ingredients if carried out during the process;
- Code number identifying date and / or batch number of manufacture and expiry date;
- Country of origin.
- For primary meat and poultry products, the label or mark shall also include the following information:
- Date of slaughter; and
- Date of processing.
- All chillers, blast freezers, freezers and other storage rooms shall be part of the approved establishment and of the same address;
- Non-Halal conformance carcasses and products shall not be stored in designated chiller. Halal carcasses and products shall not be stored together with the Non-Halal conformance;
- Cartons containing non-Halal conformance products shall be clearly labelled and stored separately in designated area in the freezer;
- Record on Non-Halal conformance shall be available upon inspection by JUHF auditors;
- Storage of carcasses and offal from other establishments or independent boning room is not acceptable.
- Only Halal Meat shall be transported in vehicles which are free from contamination. The said vehicles shall not under any circumstances carry the JUHF approved Halal produce with any other Non- Halal products. Under no circumstances Halal product can be transported with najis and / or filthy
RESPONSIBILITY OF ESTABLISHMENT
The Management of the Establishment shall:
- Submit a complete JUHF relevant application form and shall be verified by JUHF official and shall sign an agreement from both establishment authorized and JUHF official.
- Allow the JUHF officers to audit and monitor the Halal system of the establishment
- Provide sufficient infrastructure, facilities and support in the establishment to comply with this standard
- Establish an Internal Halal Management Team IHMT to regulate the requirements of this standard including conducting internal audit;
- Notify JUHF on any changes
- The record of slaughtering process shall be properly updated and made available during audit.
- Employ / appoint sufficient Muslim workers to perform Halal and Tayyab
- Provide amenities for Muslim personnel including a prayer room and time for prayers;
The carcasses and products that are not complying with the requirements of this standard are considered as Non-Halal conformance;
- All Non-Halal conformance carcasses and offal shall be identified and / or labeled under supervision of JUHF supervisor.
- The number of Non-Halal conformance carcasses and offal shall be recorded and be made available for audit by JUHF.
- All Non-Halal Conformance shall be segregated and discarded in a dedicated vehicle in remote area.
- Quran Kareem
- Hadith Rasool
- JUHF Shariah Committee finding
- JAKIM Protocol for the Halal Meat and Poultry Production
- JAKIM Standard MS1500:900
- S 993 :2015